Today we have a return appearance from an amazing past guest—Brian Casel. I’ve had a lot of people asking me to bring him back to talk about how to take your service-based business and turn that business into a product, or into something that can be scaled and automated. We’ll cover all of that, plus how to hire for and manage your productized business, why Brian is delving into the software field, and more!
We really get deep in the weeds in this conversation. For example, we’ll be talking about how to get over the fear of hiring or being a manager for the first time, so that you’re not the one doing all the work anymore. The goal is to have people or software or other tools that can do it for you so that you can get a little bit of time back, work on the bigger decisions for your business, or even take some time off. This is at the core of what passive income is all about!
Brian was featured previously on Episode 158 of The Smart Passive Income Podcast (back in 2015!).
Brian gets questions all the time about productized services, so he put together a new document answering some of those questions and how they apply in 2018 and beyond. This is an SPI exclusive, so make sure you check it out at ProductizeandScale.com/spi.
A lot of you have been asking me about how you can start your own podcast. You can have your own listeners and subscribers too, whether you already have a business and want to expand it or want to use a podcast to build that audience. A podcast is an amazing, powerful tool, and if you want to start one yourself, I’ve put together a free three-day course for you, step-by-step, taking all the crazy technical stuff and distilling it into only what you need. Nothing overwhelming about it. Check out HowtoStartaPodcast.com to get started.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes or download our mobile app.
Special thanks to Brian Casel for joining me this week. Until next time!
Download the Transcript
Read through the whole episode, from start to finish.
Download the MP3 Audio File
Listen to the episode however you like with the audio file.
- What productizing is and why it can be a total game-changer for client-based businesses.
- Brian's story: How he productized his own business by streamlining his systems and processes.
- A concrete example of how a service-based business could productize.
- Why productizing creates a better buying experience for clients.
- Tips on hiring for and managing your productized business.
- Why it's critical to know how to be a strong delegator for your business.
- Why Brian decided to start a software as a service (SaaS) company.
- How Brian validated his software product before releasing it.
- What's coming up next for Brian and his company, and more!