Last year I built three online courses—premium courses that people paid for—as well as a fourth free course. They’ve been working like gangbusters: In 2017 I earned $1 million in revenue from online courses alone. Online courses have been an incredible experience for me, and today I’m sharing the ten steps you can take to create life-changing online courses for your audience.
Why are online courses so great? Why wouldn’t you do an online course? Does it make sense to do an online course? Does it best serve your audience? Today we’re going to get into all of these questions and a whole lot more. (I hope you brought a notebook!)
I hesitated about building an online course for so long because, well, I was too afraid to sell to my audience. The big realization for me? You can sell and serve at the same time. And, I realized that I wouldn’t be taking away from the people in my audience who are more keen on my free, lower-level material. It made me realize that I could serve even more people through courses, especially people who were willing to invest in taking their businesses to the next level.
If you’ve ever considered starting an online course, this is a great place to start, and even if you have a couple of courses up online already, this episode will boost your strategy. I’m going to go deep into my personal experiences with courses so that you can take your business to the next level. Let’s get started!
I want to thank David Siteman Garland for all the help he’s given me in getting my courses up and running. And I’m excited to announce that we’re doing two co-hosted webinars on March 15 and 16, where we’re going to teach you even more information about setting up your online course and a lot of the finer details related to that. SPI students that have gone through this webinar have come out with amazing results. If you want to register check out SmartPassiveIncome.com/onlinecourses.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes or download our mobile app.
Download the Transcript
Read through the whole episode, from start to finish.
Download the MP3 Audio File
Listen to the episode however you like with the audio file.
- The psychology that helped me get over the fear of selling online courses.
- What you need to define first in order to make your course successful.
- The number one key to a successful online course.
- How to structure your online course so that it works for your audience.
- An exercise for outlining your course's content.
- Why you have to "kill your darlings" when it comes to your lessons.
- Strategies for validating your online course before you launch it.
- How to presell your online course.
- Tips and strategies for creating course materials (like videos).
- The best way to get feedback and testimonials, and more!