What if someone copied your written content, online course, or digital products, and used them to make money? What would you do? How would you respond? This happens to me all the time, but it doesn’t have to weigh you down, and it doesn’t have to be difficult to respond. That’s why I invited Richard Chapo from SoCalInternetLawyer.com onto the show, my attorney of almost a decade, to answer these questions and give you practical strategies for responding to copyright infringement.
This happens all the time; you may even be dealing with this right now. But even if you’ve never run into these issues, please listen closely. Stealing other people’s work on the internet is so easy these days, and it’s important to know how to handle these cases. It could easily happen to you, and once you reach a certain level with your business, it almost certainly will.
Richard will be talking specifically about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA): what that is and how to use it to your benefit if someone’s using your content without permission. He’ll also be talking about how to protect your site if you allow users to post to it. Throughout the episode, we’ll be referring to real-life examples from my own experiences.
Richard and I get a little technical, but he always does a great job of explaining things in a way that’s easy to understand. As always, you can refer to the transcript for today’s episode by clicking below, and I highly recommend taking notes. The strategies Richard outlines could be the arsenal that you need to protect and defend your online business in the future.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes or download our mobile app.
Special thanks to Richard Chapo for joining me this week. Until next time!
Download the Transcript
Read through the whole episode, from start to finish.
Download the MP3 Audio File
Listen to the episode however you like with the audio file.
- What the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is and how it applies to your online content.
- When content is illegal, according to the DMCA, and when it isn't.
- Whether or not posting content with a backlink to the source is copyright infringement.
- If reposting content with permission can be considered copyright infringement.
- How to submit a DMCA takedown when someone uses your content illegally.
- In what situation you should file a copyright infringement lawsuit.
- How to handle DMCA infringement with an entity outside of the US.
- At what point your online content (such as a course) is copyrighted.
- How to do a fair use analysis using the four elements of fair use defense.
- How to get infringing content taken down on social sites like YouTube.
- How to protect your site from copyright infringement when you allow user posts.
- How to complete a DMCA agent registration for $6, how this protects you, and more!